29 November, 2003

The Mood of LiveJournal

The Mood of LiveJournal is a project-child of Mark Handel and I somehow ended up with a possibility to contribute (we have been chatting about things for ages over IM. I bet if we were to go over those logs there might be a paper there somwhere hehehe). I find this particular project completely fascinating though. The circadian rhythms of the live-journal users are distinct. I am wondering if imood is incorporated into livejournal now or not. If it is, then imood would be a better thing to browse, since it would aggregate all kinds of other users (although i think you have to have an account on imood to connect your livejournal to it). I believe danah mentioned that LJ used imood (either ideas or code) in order to create their mood indicators.

Ok so for the livejournal idea - I am not sure what we can expound about if this were to become a short paper or a poster.

1. It is possible to illustrate the circadian rhythms of the livejournal (since most members are in the NorthAmerican region, the aggregate of the moods follows this regions' time and habits).
2. I was fascinted to watch what happens around holidays. ThanksGiving was spectacular in its consistency. (happy,hungry, thankful, full, bored, sleepy).

So what does it all mean? Well, for the users of livejournal, about half of them use the stock moods provided by live-journal and the other half comes up with their own which end up in singletons and can't really be analyzed except by hand i guess. I am curious what would happen if we were to use content-analyses software to analyse for mood in the posts themselves and then compare (although I am frightened to think how much time and resources that would take). For now, here are some things I shouldn't forget about:

Neel Bubba's LiveJournal stats and analysis is full of really interesting and useful links. DeadJournal is pretty cool too. Also there an aggregate of blogger demographics but this is only for the UK and I am not sure exactly how representative this is of the blogger population in general. I should dig up blogger stats.

More thoughts on this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment