AT&T Wireless: mMode update clips clicks | CNET News.com: "Although a secret word offers protection if a handset is stolen, it's otherwise unnecessary, because 'we can read directly to the device. We know exactly who you are" says vice president of mMode about its service overhall. While the overhall itself - focusing on eliminating large numbers of keystrokes - seems like a great idea (very much an HCI concern I suppose) - I think I would rather commit to typing in a password every time rather than having them read to the device. My typing in a password is a form of opting in - I am identifying myself to the company. Them knowing its me just because its my phone - that's unsettling. If you think of a social situation - introducing yourself to a stranger is a normal process, but if a stranger were to walk up to you and address you by your name, you might find it a bit more unsettling, wondering if you are being stalked...
This directly translates into privacy concerns and the idea of comfort and ease of use in exchange for giving up ever more private information, opening yourself for more unwated scrutiny even if that information is of no cost to you initially... But more on this later. Alessandro's paper has made me think (and rant) a little bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment