18 June, 2004

Orkut Newsletter

So I received a newsletter from Orkut today. A little report that told me who I was friends with, how many friends and acquaintenances I had, just a social check up. It then went on to let me know who I might want to meet that are my friends of friends... people, who are, presumably somehow similar to me. My own reaction to this surprised me. I was upset, almost offended at this intrusion into my little social structure. Its almost as if I can communicate it, but I do NOT want someone else telling me who I should me. Someone (or something to be exact really) who has absolutely no idea about the social dynamics of my social network. It made me reel... My gut reaction was to cancel my orkut account right now, along with my gmail account, and everything else related to google. It was one of the more intense "icky" reactions I've had in ages. Interesting.

I emailed the originator of the email - admin@orkut.com with a curt little message asking them to never ever send me anything like this ever again and letting them know that this was rather upsetting and almost offensive. I wonder if they will respond. hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment